Two Lawyers Withdraw From R. Kelly’s Legal Team Before Trial

Previously, it was revealed that R. Kelly was denied bail and that his sex-trafficking trial was pushed back. A judge in his case denied his attempt at bail, saying she still considers Kelly to be a flight risk, as well as a danger to the community. Now, two lawyers who were set to be in the upcoming trial have withdrawn.

Steve Greenberg and Michael Leonard have stepped away from the case, following Kelly’s move to hire two new lawyers. Greenberg issued a statement to the judge on the

matter via a letter, saying, “ Our reasons for withdrawal are significant, and it is impossible, in our belief, for us to be able to continue to properly represent Mr. Kelly

under the current circumstances.” Attorneys Nicole Becker and Thomas Farinella are the two new lawyers on the case, and Greenberg and Leonard told the judge it was

“impossible” for them to work with the new attorneys.

Kelly was reportedly asked by the judge if he wanted to drop the lawyers from the case and said: “Absolutely, yes ma’am, your honor.” Greenberg ended up speaking with

the Chicago Sun-Times and said, “Ultimately, as trial lawyers and in the interests of the client, we weren’t comfortable professionally with allowing lawyers who have never

tried federal criminal cases to have significant trial responsibilities. That approach was not to everyone’s liking.” As of now, Kelly’s trial is set to take place in Brooklyn on

August 18.

source: Chicago Sun-Times

Related posts

Leave a Comment